Saturday, February 11, 2012

Dying Faux Fur Test

I bought The Exciter Pack of Dye-na-Flow made by Jacquard. I bought it from Joanns (with a coupon) for under $10.   I also bought white faux fur which I think is 100% acrylic.



For testing these colors, here are the other items I used:
- Sheet of foil to contain my mess.  Also worked as a palete for mixing colors.
- Cheap paintbrushes.  Nothing fancy.  I wouldn't use these for art painting, but they work well for this application.  I didn't want to accidentally ruin a good paintbrush if a cheap one works well enough.
- Old slicker pet brush.  I still kept my old brush so I decided to dedicate it to this project.  I have better ones for use on my pets.

I first made sure to brush the faux fur in the direction the hair lays.  To add color, I put a drop of dye-na-flow color onto the tip of my flat paintbrush.  I painted lightly across the top of the faux fur with the grain.  At first it didn't seem there was enough color and I dripped some color onto the faux fur directly, but I found that lightly brushing would waste less and do a better job.  After brushing the dye onto the fur make sure to brush the area as soon as possible.  By brushing the color lightly onto the top of the coat, you create a little gradation of color and make brushing clumps out easier.  This will reduce your loss of fur from the fabric.  You don't want to brush so much it becomes bald...haha  If the color is not dark enough, repeat brushing more paint onto the fur.  It is better to do a little at a time.  One thing to note though is that when you brush the fur while the paint is wet, that it can get brushed into other parts.  So if you are brushing a pattern or something more intricate, be careful where you brush.

So now for the results...


Above is my first test.  On the left is Emerald Green.  You can see how the lower section is darker than the rest because this is where I dripped color onto the fur.  It doesn't look as good as the brushed parts in person.  On the far right I painted black to see how dark it would be.  In person the black seems to be a very dark cool gray.  Close enough.  The top color is Azure Blue.  You can probably see 2 lines in the middle of the fur where I cut it.  That was done prior to my painting experiment to see how adding texture by cutting looks like.


Top row (left to right)
1:1 brown:white
1:1:2 brown:golden yellow:white
1:2 golden yellow:azure blue

Bottom row (left to right)
brown
1:2 brown:white
1:1 golden yellow:azure blue
1:2 golden yellow:brown


The picture makes the black dye look close enough to the black I painted his paws.  In person (as mentioned above) the faux fur looks like very dark cool grey.  Not too bad considering I don't have to buy extra faux fur just to get black.


Here is my slicker brush I used to brush the faux fur.  You can see how it built up when brushing painted fur.

Although the Emerald Green is very pretty by iteself, I want more of a forest type green for my dragon poseable art doll.  So I will have to mix 2 parts blue with 1 part yellow to get this (according to my test above).  I also liked the beige color I got from mixing 2 parts white and 1 part brown.  I may use this for the tummy of the dragon.  And of course there is the black that I intend to use for the legs and the middle of the back.  And if I do a pattern on him, I can use the black too.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work. This is very helpful information. Makes me feel more confident to try dye fur in future (the range of pre cut teddy 'fur fat' at my craft store is very limited and random as to what comes in). Thanks for sharing your experiments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I was almost afraid this experiment wouldn't work or I would need more dye to color the fabric. But just adding a drop of dye on the paintbrush and lightly brushing the top worked out great. The texture doesn't seem off to me either. The backing is still white if I didn't overdo it. Adding too much doesn't look as good.

      Delete