Monday, January 23, 2012

Poseable Art Dolls

I like to try different things, so once again I found something of interest.  No, I am not giving up on my Ball Jointed Dolls (BJDs), but I want to explore another type of poseable doll.  What am I talking about?

I am talking about OOAK (One Of A Kind) Poseable Art Dolls that are plush.  A wire armature is first made for the doll.  Then the head and feet are sculpted (most often in polymer clays) either on the wire or separate.  Once the sculpting is done, the sculpted parts are glued onto the wire armature if it was not made directly on it.  Then the body, neck, limbs, and tail are wrapped with felt, batting, or other cushioning material.  This protects the wire and gives the doll a sturdy body.  Fabric (usually some fur type) is sewed onto the body and glued to the sculpted parts.  This creates a partially plush and partially sculpted doll.  The wires allow parts to be bent, but care needs to be taken to ensure the wires don't break.  You don't bend too often at a time and you don't bend the wire near the joints/sculpted areas.  These are ART dolls not PLAY dolls.

Here is a nice tutorial on making a Poseable Art Doll by Catigma on Deviantart.  Check out her gallery to see pictures of her work.



Click on the pictures to go directly to the tutorial's page on Deviantart.

Some of my favorites are listed below.  The images are linked to the page they belong on Deviantart.  Check out the artists to see more of their work.

by =wereRemjif

by WoodSplitterLee

by Carn-Dearg

Aren't they just beautiful?

I doubt my attempt would look so great.

No comments:

Post a Comment