Sunday, November 20, 2011

Extra Tiny BJD Project: Part 3

Just to clarify, this little reindeer is made from carving wax and not any type of clay.  It is currently my favorite sculpting material.

A few hours more of work and below is the progress I have made.



As cute as it would have been to be able to swivel her ears, I have decided not to make them a separate joint.  They are now part of her head, which may make a challenge for making the head mold and casting it in resin.

Some of her body parts were made into a mold to help make reproduction easier.  A plaster mold would have added difficulty figuring out seam lines.  A moulage mold would have been temporary, but I needed to be able to use these molds for a while.  A silicone rubber mold would have been costly.  So I decided to use my Amazing Mold Putty.  I am able to quickly make re-useable molds which I can cast carving wax from.


Above you can see 3 molds I made.  The one on the far left is for casting legs, the top right is for the stubby antlers, and the bottom right is for the ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment