Friday, August 12, 2011

Making Carving Wax (Pic Heavy)

Please check this post for more information about the Carving Wax Recipe.

I made a slight adjustment to my quantity since it seems Baby Talc Powder that I got comes in 15 oz bottle and the size of the slow cooker I am using.  So I figured might as well make a small batch to start.

Revised Recipe
15 oz Batik Wax (Paraffin/Micro 50/50 mix) (block)
15 oz Talc Baby Powder
1.65 oz Beeswax (granules?)
1.65 oz Carnauba Wax (flakes)

Equipment Used
2 Quart Slow Cooker
Bamboo Skewer (to stir pot)
Premade Plaster Mold (and a container to soak them in water)
Pouring Cup
Oven Mitts (slow cooker pot is hot)
Newspaper (to keep work area clean)
Silicone Mold (to pour excess into)

The waxes are in the slow cooker on LOW setting.  I have the slow cooker outside on my patio.

This is what it looks like after 1 hour.  It smells like candles and honey.

Soaking plaster mold in water.

All the wax is melted 2 hours later.

This is what it looks like after baby powder is mixed in.  It now smells like baby powder... lol!

I poured the hot carving wax into the plaster molds, but I was not quick enough to pour out the excess to make it hollow. (Okay, so I got distracted and forgot to.) For some reason the middles have dimpled in.  Parts may be too small to pour out once the walls were thick enough anyways.

The work area was covered with newspaper to catch drips.  I poured from the slow cooker to the white cup in the picture that has a pour lip.  Even with this lip the pouring of hot carving wax was messy, as you can see in the picture.  I need to figure out a better way to pour to minimize mess and waste.

Here they are fresh out of the mold and slightly warm still.  It is likely they are not hollow so I will just drill as needed.  See link posted below for more information about Carving Wax.

Reference
Making a Casting Wax

No comments:

Post a Comment