Sunday, July 17, 2011

Kodama: Part 1

I decided the Kodama would be perfect for this experiment. I originally was planning on making it in Premix (La Doll and Premier mixed), but thought the addition of paper mache strips may make it more durable.

Name: None
Type: Humanoid Spirit
Gender: None
Age: None
Size: 4" tall
Sculpting Material: Paper Mache and Premix

Description
: A kodama is a spirit from Japanese folklore, which is believed to live in certain trees (wikipedia).  I will be using an anime, Princess Mononoke, for the reference of how Kodama will look and move.  They will be small, white humanoids with large, rattling heads and mask-like features (wikipedia).


Here is my concept drawing of a Kodama I wanted to make.  Very simple in design.  In the picture above you can see the armature.  The armature has a foam core wrapped in shopping bag plastic tied off with thread.


The paper mache paste was made from water, flour, and glue.  No exact measuring or anything.  I made paper strips from junk mail and spread the paste onto it.  The arms and legs were made by wrapping premix around a kabob rod.


Now I just need to wait for the parts to dry.  Then I will form the shape up, cut it apart to make joints, etc.

Here is a nice paper mache site:  Stolloween

No comments:

Post a Comment