Wednesday, July 20, 2011

2.2b Sculpting (Draog)

I still like sculpting in Y2 Klay, but the static from small shavings is getting a little annoying. I wonder if there is something I can do to either eliminate or lessen it.

Since last time I have started working on the hind legs. I built up these parts instead of just carving them from a chunk like the body and head. I found it difficult to sculpt so I thought to try something else. I scanned the original drawing and made a digital one. I printed it out in the size I wanted and glued them to chip board. I cut out the body and legs so now I have a template to help shape the parts. This should also help make the legs even.


In the above picture you can see the digital image I made and the chip boards I glued them to.  The cut outs are placed on top of the clay forms.  I found the originally body I was carving to be too long so I cut it in half and reattached it.  Now the length is much better, but the chest portion still needs more work.  The hind legs are starting to come along, but are still in the rough stage.  I am trying to find good reference pictures of hing legs from the back so I can shape it better.  I will also need to remove a chunk from the body where the legs attach.


The head itself needs more work too.  It has been reduced since the original made, but I am not sure yet how much work to do with it so I wait.  The Draog is supposed to be young, so a head that is a little large is acceptable as long as the rest of the body compliments the look.

No comments:

Post a Comment